Each land parcel (for example erf) in South Africa is uniquely identified by a unique LPI code.
An LPI code is a title deed summarised into 21 digits.
The 21 digits are made up as follows
- First letter: relevant Surveyor General’s (SG) office
- Next 3 letters: major region within the SG office
- Then 4 numbers: minor region associated to a town (or farm)
- Next 8 numbers: erf or farm number
- Followed by 5 numbers: portion number of land parcel in erf or farm
This link here contains an excellent description of the determination of the LPI code.