CRE is the abbreviation for commercial real estate.
Another word for commercial real estate is commercial property.
While members of the same family, commercial real estate (or commercial property) is not the same as residential property. (Residential property is sometimes referred to as “resi”)
Commercial real estate comprises the following primary property categories:
- Shopping centres or retail (with sub-categories including malls, high street shops, factory outlets, quick service restaurants etc.)
- Industrial (with sub-categories including warehouses / logistics, factories, distribution centers, mini warehouses etc.),
- Offices (aka commercial – with sub-categories such as high rise and low rise office, office parks etc.),
- Multifamily (aka multi-dwelling units or MDUs), and
- Other – covering education facilities, hospitality or leisure (hotels), healthcare (encompassing hospitals and clinics), service stations, stadia, airports, public assets such as police and fire stations, and power-generation facilities.